PFSense - Carp, DHCP not handing out addresses

Hi @dkggpeters,

We currently have have a single Virtual PFSense running on a proxmox system with all our VLANS & DHCP working fine. The issue im having is the CARP failover with VLANS on the test server ive setup.

The CARP seems to fail when a vlan is added in the same way you add a lan… both PFSense boxes switch to master & apear to to take DHCP offline for both lan & Vlan. going peer-state unknown.

Got it. You already know it is CARP. I can’t add any value as I have not done it before. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Hi, @dkggpeters.

no probs, Thank you for you help so far :smiley:

I believe this is because the primary cannot see the secondary on the new VLAN. I’m not sure how proxmox handles trunk ports.

apoligies, limitation on replys ion primary account…

At the moment, Proxmox is not connected to a switch, the VM are communitcating internaly

I’m reluctent to plug this int oour production switch incase nothing works & i take everything down

That is what I am talking about. I’m not sure how proxmox handles trunks ports on internal created interfaces.

@xMAXIMUSx

My Appoligies,

@xMAXIMUSx

Ok, so it would apear Proxmox handles this rather poorly. After scrambling round for an unused switch, i have discovered the Proxmox on its own wont do layer 2 switching… once i plugged the 2 vPFsense into the switch they started behaving as expexted…

All the CARP HA responded as primary & backup acordingly and failover works like a charm.

Proxmox also started behaving and the Test VMs

I tested this on xcp-ng and it looks like the internal interface properly handles trunk. I had a lab to test this on here.