pfSense 2.5 released

A already posted and confirmed. The DHCP Forwarding is broken in 2.5.0. So do not upgrade if you need the freature.

Upgraded to 2.5.0. Noticed some lag in the UI. Also, the DHCP Leases page simply just does not work. Also noticing higher memory usage. Would be interested in seeing if anyone else is seeing things like this. Running on a PC Engines APU2.

The CPU on my Protectli is at 10%. DHCP Leases page seems to work without issue.

Intel® Celeron® CPU 3865U @ 1.80GHz
Current: 1700 MHz, Max: 1801 MHz
2 CPUs: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s)
AES-NI CPU Crypto: Yes (inactive)

Mine went great for my home lab.

Celeron J3455
4gb ddr3l
32gb ssd

Update only took 5 minutes and booted up fine, Wireguard also working no issues. Unfortunate for the owners of netgate hardware having issues, seems like they should have tested their own hardware more?

This release seems very very buggy. I’m calling out the people at Netgate for this one. Numerous bug reports on pfsense reddit as well. And SG-3100 and SG-5100 bug??? Come on you can’t tell me they couldn’t have tested against their own hardware before release – that’s just really really bad. I think I might sit this one out for awhile until maybe the next point release. Hopefully things more stable at that point.

Just looking at the update notes there are a vast number of changes. It doesn’t surprise me there are issues, though I wonder if a clean install works better.

That’s a weekend job using a spare hdd just in case it doesn’t go smoothly.

Fix for that sg3100 bug arrived!

Tried another option after searching online. Did a factory reset and reloaded saved configuration file from before upgrade. DHCP leases page is still having issues.

I finally updated my pfSense three days ago, followed all the recommendations, i.e. removed all the installed packages, did backups, rebooted prior to installing (last reboot was 115 days ago). Installed 2.5.0 rebooted after install, re-added all my packages afterwards, zero issues, solid. With 8 packages installed, no loss of settings on anything. I’m impressed with this updated, even through I was going to wait for 2.5.1, but many of my packages required updates, so I bit the bullet and did the update, no regrets now.