Network Design Recommendation

Luckily we have 2NIC 2ports available to test for LAG. Thanks!

I thought hes running the switches finally to the core switch but just without LACP.

@mariem56 you need to clarify your current state, create an updated drawing with the links you plan to use.

1 Like

yes sir we will create an updated network diagram…

How much do you use the file server ? go to your graphs and see if you’re currently maxxed out. If you use beyond 60-70% on a 1 gbit link, I would consider a 10gbe upgrade OR LAGG. However, this will only work if your server is capable of handling that kind of data. FreeNAS will do it but check ZFS Raid Speed. These guys have already tested various environments and give you the best possible bandwith you will get based on different configurations.

Office documents generally have burst bandwith , and 1 gbe generally turns out fine , and 2gbe with LAGG much more than sufficient. Media however is another ball game and if even 30% of your users are streaming, you would run out of bandwith rather quickly.

If you add VLAN to your file server whereby you dont need to go up to pfsense just to access the file servers this could save you additional bandwith.

If your keep your Dlink NAS for those users,which you are planning to keep for certain users in the same switch as the users accessing it such as in switch 3-4-5-6 you will save even more bandwith.This data can then be backed up to FreeNAS giving you a backup solution as well. Its not a very structured behaviour but you already have the hardware and it can help with your backup. Personally though I prefer FreeNAS as the primary box and others as the backup box.

1 Like

If just found out about this switch. Not sure if it would help you get dedicated runs to all the distributed switches. You would be able to run dual links for each of your switches as well as to the router.

1 Like

How about the compatibility to other managed tp link switch?

Shouldn’t be a problem. From what I’ve read Ubiquiti equipment is not picky about SFP modules. As long as the modules on each end are on the same wave length everything should work just fine. The hard part will be making sure you’re passing the vlans you want on each port. But since you’re connecting switches, you’ll probably just make them trunk ports which is easy. The packets/vlans themselves are industry standard protocols.

1 Like

thank you sir. Well add the unifi edge switch 12F to connect all 5 switch to our main core switch.

Just knowing the physical design of your network, you might want to think of the EdgeSwitch as your core switch. I don’t know the logical (vlan) design to know if that is still the case.

1 Like

And add the 5switch to the edge switch? I thought it’s only for connecting fiber connections.

I’m assuming that pfsense and the IT switch are located together and that the EdgeSwitch will go there as well. There are 12 fiber ports to have 2 lag connections to switches 1-6 with fiber. You then have 4 RJ45 ports with with you can run lag connections to pfsense and the IT switch. You then have equal 2Gb pipes everywhere.

If there are significant resources on the IT switch, such as storage servers, that clients will be accessing without crossing vlans, you might want to lag all 4 RJ45 ports to the IT switch. Once again you need to look at both the flow of the physical and logical networks to limit bottlenecks.

1 Like

Thank you sir, this setup need a lot of testing and feedback from the users. Not actually sure how to what option to choose for LAG.

LACP is probably the most common LAG option to use. Updated UI could make things look a little different, but these should get you started.