M.2 NVME Drives susceptible to EMI?

Wondering if anyone has noticed something like this with a PC that has a PCI-e NMVE M.2 Drive.

The PC has a very slow network speed compared to other PCs at that location. When physically moved to a different spot in the building, the network speed picks up to be on par with the rest of the PCs. I’ve eliminated the network cable as an issue by making a brand new Cat6 cable and running it directly from the switch to the PC (bypassing any other equipment) and not seeing any changes.

The oddest thing, when we take a different PC from that location and plug it in where the problem machine is, then it slows down. Put the machine back where it came from and everything is fine.

So we are basically chasing our tails and this was brought up. Are M.2 PCI-e NVME drives susceptible to electromagnetic interference?

Or should we call an exorcist?

Yes, like any electronic component unless it is shielded and that is grounded. EMI, RFI, EMP, ground faults all can cause interference, even high voltage high amperage power lines can cause problems. Call an engineer specializing in RF although some may say they are exorcist of shorts.

This is a response to the same issue from another forum (Experts Exchange)

The FCC mandated rules for EMI interference emitting from PC’s in the late 1980s; but, since the entire chassis is connected to earth ground, it’s also a good shield against EMI interference getting into the PC.

Not sure what the M.2 NVMe drive would have to do with network speed?

Sounds like you have some major interference issues with your cat6 cables in that area if even a new cable has the same issue.

Do you have some cat7 on hand or some other better shielded cabling to test?

1 Like

Mike,

I think I’ve actually eliminated that feed cable as the problem. I took the known good Cat6 cable out yesterday afternoon. I plugged it into the small gigabit dumb switch under the user’s desk and then ran that cable over to the next office plugging that machine in with the cat6 cable (so both pcs are running on the same feed cable). The other office pc ran quickly like it should and the other machine was still slow.

I’m starting to suspect maybe a power issue with the pc?

I HAVE EXORCISED THE DEMONS!

Finally figured this out. It had absolutely nothing to do with EMI, bad network cables, bad wall outlet, or any such thing.

This poor little Dell Optiplex 3050’s external power brick was apparently either going bad or completely under powered. I swapped the power brick with a spare that I had and BAM, quick speeds once again.