FreeNAS Jails with VLAN

Kevdog,
I think others have stated the issue already. My issue is slightly different. After upgrading from 11.3 to 11.3U1 the secondary network (IX0 is primary network nic and igb0 is secondary network used for VLAN) that I was using for the VLAN is now stuck at up. I cannot force it to be down. Further, I cannot use it for a VLAN anymore (when i try to do Tom’s method of attaching it to a vlan the jail will not start). I had a spare nic (igb1) and used that and now it is working fine using Tom’s method of using a second nic for freenas VLANS. Something transpired in the upgrade, although it showed no errors, that made igb0 stuck at up (I have tried ifconfig to bring it down to no avail, if i use ifconfig to bring up, freenas says its up, it will go down then up). Thus, I have a spare nic to work around. However, I thought I would add my two sense.

@vince

Honestly I’ve never worked with multiple NICs on my FreeNAS (although I do have a spare igb1 – I’ve never utilized it). When you say igb0 is stuck at “up”, are there any VLANs associated with the network interface? Is this interface set within the GUI or did you delete it? Is it listed in the GUI? Have you actually tried deleting and then re-adding the interface in the GUI? Is “up” specified under the Options line?

For igb0 there is no vlan or bridge associated with it. After the 11.3u1 update, and finding the vlan not working in the jail I deleted both the vlan and the bridge. There is no cable attached to igb0. ix0 has the freenas ip address. igb0 has no ip address. In the gui igbo has no options set and nothing is checked. Yet, the gui reports it as being up. On the surface I cannot see any reason why it would be stuck at up. I have checked system tunables in the gui and nothing is set. It just seems igb0 is stuck at up. I can still use it for an ip in the same network as ix0, but using it for a vlan in a jail will not work. The jail will not start. If I set the vlan in the jail using dchp I get a dhcp error. If I set an ip in the vlan network i get a vnet error. (note these last two lines are when I have set a vlan and bridge attached to igb0). This is where I am at. Maybe the 11.3U2 update will fix this.

Can you delete igb0 in the GuI? You can always re-add it back.

@kevdog - It was affects both the plugins and “manually” created jails. I had a jail created manually created for my UniFi Controller and the old 11.2-U6-created version did not have the VLANs or brideges show up under the Network information.

No I cannot. I get an error that only virtual interfaces can be deleted.

You should be able to do it through the console (either IPMI or physcailly connected keyboard/monitor).

I tried to delete igb0 through the console. It did not work.

I’ve read its recommended not to mix tagged and untagged traffic – I’m not certain if this is a hard and fast rule or just a recommendation. Certainly the setup would be simplified if VLAN1 traffic did not need to be tagged. I was hoping others would either help me confirm or deny this “recommendation”

Hi guys, first post here. Just registered as this thread got my hopes up (not too high though) to get my config working.

So first I need to clarify this as I think this is - one of many - flaws I have:
on my pfSense I have 2 intel NIC on the mobo and 4 other on an intel 1000 pro extension card which makes plenty to have all my VLANs without tagging sitting directly on parent interfaces like so:

On my FeeNAS I have two interfaces igb0 as 192.168.22.111 and igb1 as 192.168.33.111
I do not use LAGG and would like to set up a ZoneMinder jail connecting to my CCTV VLAN 192.168.33.x/24 to save footage of the cams. Cams traffic goes through a 4-port PoE switch which is then uplinked to a Netgear managed switch dedicated only for the CCTV VLAN. The igb1 from the FreeNAS is connected to this switch as well and the switch is uplinked to the CCTV parent NIC on the Intel 1000 pro.

Before I dig any further in the settings I’d like to know if this would work or should I tag my VLAN traffic anyway?!?