Favorite Linux Distro

I like and use Ubuntu 19.04, Linux Mint 19.1 and Pop! OS, but mainly use Ubuntu 19.04.

Debian 9 stretch - Especially for raspberry pi with lamp running on it

I like ubuntu, mxlinux, arch linux, and manjaro. First 2 are based off debian and last two I like mainly due to aur community packages. Needless to say I like debian too.

Everytime I’ve installed Linux it was Ubuntu. For the first time I’ve hopped to manjaro. Learning a new package manager is fun and frustrating. I a enjoying it so far

Desktop OS: Peppermint
Server OS: Debian
Pentesting: Parrot OS

1 Like

My Linux journey started with Mint Cinnamon. I play with Kali a bit (mainly for Uni and Hack The Box in the rare spare time that I have). I have played a little with Debian, Fedora and CentOS. I use FreeNAS for my NAS and pfSense as my firewall/router.

All in all, it depends on what you like. I like the familiarity of Windows in Mint but I also like to get away from that too. I have most recently been using Debian with XFCE and have been enjoying that too. If you’re not too keen on changing your main box frequently (which is probably the best way to learn IMHO) just spin them up in a VM and see what you like.

1 Like

All good choices. My standard desktop is Mint with Mate UI easy on resources. Mint makes most sense for me like the menu system do not like a screen cluttered with icons.

1 Like

Most of us know EDC as ‘Every Day Carry’. First I’ve seen it as ‘Every Day Computer’ :wink:

Indeed but the same abbreviations appear in different contexts. One needs to be cognizant of context even within the same document. Take a glossary of communication terms, cyber security terms and military terms you will see many of the same with same meaning but others with totally different meanings. Industry Jargon, sometimes I think marketing people use it to befuddle.

I’m probably not going to add much here but suggest Ubuntu likely the distro to start with and specifically stick with the LTS version. Ubuntu really easy and when you run into problems…which you will…almost every website has an Ubuntu solution. It’s really easy to work with. I still spin up Ubuntu servers when I need something quick but I later moved onto arch. The documentation on their wiki is excellent and if you are doing something really technical I believe it’s the place to go. The arch forums are filled with super knowledgeable users however just don’t go their asking a basic or noob question…it won’t go over to well. I’ve also starting just using using freebsd which I basically spin up as jails within freenas and I’d say the knowledge people are equivalent to those on Arch. I’ve never explored to rpm distros or suse variants so I can’t give much opinion on that other than xcp-ng. Most linux distros have much more in common so once you get proficient in one or two of them it’s pretty easy to move between types. I usually do most through ssh and command line but when I need a gui I like light guis…like mate or cinnamon. KDE and gnome 3 more bells and whistles however I just prefer more basic presentations.

Primarily I used to be CentOS at the server level, I’ve been suing it since version 5.1. However, I find my self having more servers running Debian these days. Like Tom though, I run XCP-NG which is based on CentOS.
I use PopOS on my desktop & laptop.
I think I have a Webserver VM (Hosted for someone else) which is running the latest Ubuntu Server OS. My original Wiki server was CentOS but thats now been moved over to Debian, as have many of my Linux based Servers.

Kubuntu (KDE)

I am so used to it now I think it be hard to get me off and use somthing else.

I like the layout and I do not change it much default is king.