Best home server setup

Nice and compact! I like it! Getting the servers off the floor I feel is always a home server issue. Where to put the dang things :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@brianh

I love my Dell PowerEdge T30 (I upgraded the RAM to 32GB and added two Samsung SSDs). I use Proxmox as the hypervisor and run several VMs for cybersecurity analysis (AlienVault OSSIM, separate Splunk instances in Debian VMs, Nessus Home in a Debian VM, and Parrot OS).

@chudak

That’s the same one I just bought (except mine doesn’t have the Wi-Fi). I disabled the mSATA and installed a 500GB Samsung 860 Evo (plenty of room for log storage, at least for now). I considered running pfSense on my PowerEdge T30 but decided I wanted a dedicated box for routing and firewall.

1 Like

Nice setup good choice of software. Splunk is awesome but can get expensive depending on data use.

At home I run:

Part Product
HDD HGST 3.5" 12TB 256MB 7200RPM HE12, SATA ULTRA 512E ISE, HUH721212ALE600
MB Supermicro X11SAE ATX E3-1200v5/v6, Gen6/7 i7/i5/i3, 4x DDR4, M.2, SATA RAID, 2x GbE, PCIe x 16, DVI-D, DP, HDMI
RAM Kingston 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 UDIMM 2400MHz CL17 1.2V ECC Unbuffered ValueRAM Single Stick Server Memory ~KVR24E17D8/16I MEKV21E15D8-16I LS
CPU Intel E3-1230v6 Quad Core Xeon 3.5 Ghz LGA1151 8M Cache
PSU Corsair 750W RMi 80+ Gold Fully Modular w/Corsair Link 135mm FAN ATX PSU
GPU Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GT 710 1GB PCIe Video Card DDR3 4K 3xDisplays HDMI DVI VGA Low Profile Heatsink Silent LS
Case SilverStone Grandia GD08

I run ESXi with pfSense and FreeNAS in VMs. I know it is recommended not to run FreeNAS in a VM but if you do it correctly then there should be no dramas - I haven’t had any with my set up (here is post in the ixsystems blog about it).
I also run Plex Media Server on Fedora Server, I run a Windows box for my torrents and Unifi Controller.

I love my little set up and it serves my family and I well - I will just need to get some more RAM so I have a bit more to play with in the way of VMs but I’m pretty happy as is.

I know this isn’t a direct answer to OPs question but it may give OP some ideas :smile: