Last night around 3AM a big ISP had a malfunction on a DNS server. At home I didn’t notice the problem, because I use 126.96.36.199 as primary and 188.8.131.52 as secondary. However today at work, what a nightmare. I have two Unifi AP’s set up, and so far it is just temporarily while I wait for budget for the final setup. Both AP’s I just left on dhcp, and it has been a nightmare getting them back again. On the controller I have now set a static ip, and also set dns server to the same as I use at home, one of the AP’s took a few reboots to get back online, and read the new configuration, the other AP just refuse to connect to my controller and read the config.
Both AP’s are out of reach, and require a lift to access. So now I just wait for the dns to run out in the last AP, and have it refresh, and then read the new config.
From now on, I will asssign static ip and dns, to not run into this problem again.
Nothing wrong with using UAP at a business, they’re solid APs. I’m not quit fully grasping what your issue was though… Either your DHCP hands out your controller’s IP for DNS and you just update the DNS server at the controller, or your DHCP hands out whatever DNS was assigned to the WAN interface of your controller - which then you’d just edit your WAN interface and set a static DNS to whatever.
Or yea you could edit your DHCP settings and hand out another public DNS server.
The problem was the ISP’s dns server, which the router gave to the AP’s, had a malfunction. My controller is on another domain, which the AP’s could not access, because of wrong entries in the dns record. So I did change the ip of the dns server in the controller, but the AP’s could not connect to the controller and download the configuration. One ap ended up connecting, and downloading the new config. The other took almost 4 hours longer.
But from now on, both AP’s will use 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 for dns, instead of the default from the router.
This won’t hurt devices trying to reach services on your domain (internal mail server / intranet site)? Usually better to have everything point to your router or domain controller and only update them as needed.
If this was a proper professional setup, that would most likely be the way to do it, but this isnt.
It’s a half consumer setup, my network at home is better than this, but they wont spend any money on getting it made properly.
We still got 3 different brand access points, 3 different SSID’s, all doing the same thing, under different names. So you can be on the network at one end of the building, go to the other end, and you arent connected any longer, and you need to find the ssid for that part, and connect to it… if the access point has not locked up. Its a mess, and the rack cabinet is an even bigger mess, where you have to move wires out of the way just to close the door.
Just wait for a disaster, one of two things will happen : 1 you’ll get the budget to do it right or 2 they will hire some o the cheep out fit to band-aid the mess.
It will probably be a combination of the two they want me to patch it up cheap
The kind of prospect I walk away from.