Another... DIY PFSense (OPNSense) Build

Reading through that thread (first forum link), I’ll stand by my ECC recommendation. But it is your device and you should build it the way you want. For some people this will matter, for others not at all. For my home firewall ECC isn’t important, or on this hardware even possible. At work I try to put ECC (normally RDIMM) into everything because it is better for long term stability. But at work most of the things I buy for the server room are going to be server boards that require regular ECC or RDIMM ECC.

Workstations get what ships in the box.

Since TDP was mentioned a couple of times, it should be noted that it is not suitable to determine power consumption. Historically this had indeed been the case, but not so for about 8 years. As example, I run a Xeon E5 2670 with a TDP of 115 watts. The server uses 50 watts semi-idle (8 VMs running on XCP-ng).

Correct, but it’s one of the few metrics we can use when comparing processors.

Thermal Design Point is really the measurement of the amount of heat a processor creates under a workload. Hence the thermal reference.

TDP is supposed to represent the amount of heat the processor can generate while performing tasks. We tend to use the processor’s maximum TDP number to give its rating.

Which is why trying to the use the TDP rating can be difficult. But using the max number, can give you a super conservative general estimate of electrical usage. However, you will never use that in real life unless you are gaming on ultra high with a magic stock gpu.

Taking this number into consideration, you can figure out how to cool it by knowing how much heat it will generate. By knowing how much heat it will generate, you can guess the size of the fan needed to remove that heat.

I’m confident this i3 will never be maxed out for more than short periods, and on average will be using very little power. Perhaps not compared to the 15watt TDP of that Atom referenced above, but less than half its TDP rating.

It’s just like my internet line. I have 1000/1000 Mbps. The only time I max it out is by running a speed test. Even though everything in my home is internet-based, lights, switches, T.V.s, phones, etc, it hardly uses 2 or 3 Mbps. In fact, according to the UniFi controller, while writing this I was using 21.3Kbps down and 25.2Kbps up. That’s nothing.

I will be redoing my rack today to remove the UniFi stuff and set up the opnsense box, HPE Aruba Switch, and some other stuff. I’ll report back with some screen grabs of heat/fan speeds,etc.