10G Home Networking Dilema

One of the rooms that will get the 10G switch needs a good 8-10 1G ports, which is why the CSS610 was so ideal. When (if?) they fix the VLANs and Management UI access issues, I’ll likely go for it.

I know fiber isn’t so fragile that it snaps by looking at it, but where I have to pull it is in a low-ceiling attic and until I can convince my wife to crawl up there, will be doing it as a solo job. At this point, I have a 100% success record with copper and just don’t want to deal with the conditions for my first fiber deployment.

1 Like

Tie the fiber cable to the Copper cable you are pulling, pull on the copper cable. I did all my wiring solo. If anything pull both cables Fiber & copper.

1 Like

Tie the fiber cable to the Copper cable you are pulling, pull on the copper cable. I did all my wiring solo. If anything pull both cables Fiber & copper.

I may just do that. Would Single Mode Fiber Optic Cable - LC/LC, UL, 9/125 Type, Duplex, Yellow, 20m, Corning do the job? Monoprice sells it for $9.99.

-MB

Link to cable ? I used mm cable, becUse I didn’t know anything about the sm cables. Maybe someone could chime in,

It’s at Monoprice.

It’s almost absurd how cheap it is now. I remember having to connect to Cisco switches across rooms in a satellite office and the cables and transceivers were close to a grand. Granted it was Cisco, so maybe all the cost was in the transceivers.

-MB

First mistake, unless your government and have no budget for home lab, go nuts with Cisco. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m loving my Aruba stuff !!

You can grab a Cisco Nexus 5010 (twenty 10G ports) for around $200. Good luck finding anything cheaper per 10G port.

I’m only looking for a switch that can bridge two halves of my house and connect to a NAS with a 10G port, so that Nexus would be overkill. Also, you must have come late, because I don’t have room for a full width switch.

The point is moot now, as a couple of people on the Mikrotik forum claim that RC12 of the firmware resolves much, so I decided to take the plunge and ordered a pair of CSS610s and copper 10G transceivers for a little over $300 shipped. Worst case, they go on eBay “like new.”

-MB

1 Like

Yup, makes sense. I was commiting on jleaman.